Before we dive into the theory of podcast advertising and the way it works, let’s first learn a bit about what exactly podcast advertising means? It is nothing but a 10- 60 second audio-based advertisement that a listener hears during intervals in podcasts. Similar to that of a TV ad that appears during break time of television shows and sometimes premiered movies. The overall motive of creating such podcast advertisements is to reach the minds of the podcast listening audiences and win their trust, which further paves the way to reach wider audiences.
Now the big question does podcast advertisements work
Well, it is like asking a TV or YouTube viewer whether they went to the advertisement attentively! As practically, podcasts are heard during car journeys, during gym sessions, and while doing household chores and cooking. Listeners usually hear them at their convenience and absorb all the information that is being said in an exciting, or rather we can say engagingly.
According to a survey conducted by Podcast Insights, about 68% of podcast listeners perceive ads positively in the United States and so most of the popular shows have views, comments, and reviews high in numbers. Therefore, many people in the Biden-led nation admit they trust ads that are promoted during the podcast and so there is a high probability that the listeners will explore brands and will consider purchasing them over the time.
Hence, leading brands invest a lot to promote their product value, discounts, and promos on podcasts that capture the attention of audiences at ultimate levels.
How to advertise on podcasts?
First, we need to select the podcasts that are ranking high content-wise and then pay the host so that they can insert 10-50 second ads during their podcast streamlines at regular intervals, say in three slots- a pre-roll advertisement, a mid-roll advertisement, and a post-roll advertisement. A pre-roll ad is an advertisement that is listened by the audience in the first 30 seconds of the episode. The mid-roll ad is played halfway through the podcast and the post-roll advertisement is the one that is heard by the listeners during the podcast closure. However, it all depends on the podcast’s reach, the ad length, impressions, and downloads.
Podcast Ad terminologies are listed below to make things simple
And hope they help those who are exploring ways to publish ads during podcasts
- CPM Rate- The abbreviation of CPM is “Cost per Mile” and it is the rate the advertisers pay after every 1000 impressions.
- Advertisements read by hosts- In such ads, the host of the podcast reads out the advertisement and those following them will connect well with those ads.
- Dynamic insertion of ads- This is an automated way of inserting ads into the podcast through software. And in such automated ads, customization is possible.
- Programmatic Ad- Such advertisements are pre-recorded and do not need the involvement of the podcast host. This means such ads can be termed programmatic ads.
- CTA- Call to action aka CTA is a kind of ad that includes promo codes and URLs that offer discounts to the podcast listeners if they go for the purchase of the product or service. Usually, the metrics achieved from CTA are used to measure the performance of a podcast.
- Downloads- As the name itself suggests, it is the number of times a podcast is downloaded from a hosting website and is technically measured in impressions or listens.
- Live-Read Ad- It is a kind of advertisement that is performed during a live show. And is not scripted, edited, or automatically inserted into the podcast episode.
How to create a podcast ad
Usually, the advertisement that is being aired on the podcast is an audio file, and so one must record the promo in a standalone MP3 file. Web development companies offer the service of producing ads in audio formats and so one can use them as well if/when needed. The recorded file is then sent to the podcast’s post-production process, to place the file in the episode audio file at a prerequisite interval. Those hosts who use dynamic insertion technology can simply upload the file into the hosting software of the podcast and stay relaxed as everything after is done by the software on an automated note.