In order to grow your audiences or listeners, one needs to publish podcast content on various podcast directories. Spotify is one such platform that has given a great opportunity to podcast creators to make it big in the industry.
Actually, it all started in the year 2019 when Spotify appealed to podcasters and influencers to switch on to its convenient platform for better reach.
By the end of the year 2019, Edison Research discovered that 43% of global podcasts listeners consumed episodes on Spotify on a monthly note, as they felt that the platform offered trusted content
Since then, submitting podcasts on Spotify has become crucial to those who have just started a podcasting career and to those already established in it.
How to submit a Podcast on Spotify
Submitting a podcast on Spotify isn’t different from other podcast directories. As signing up for an account and submit the content for review and approval through the Spotify Podcast RSS feed.
However, to simplify your podcast submission process, here’s a checklist to view before submission and approval.
- FYI, Spotify doesn’t host your content. This means it doesn’t store your content on its platform. So, how does it work then? Well, you need to host the content on another platform and then provide an RSS link to Spotify. So, just go to the service that hosts your content and find the link that can be fed to the RSS feed of Spotify, and hit “Next”. If the link is incorrect, an error message is displayed. Otherwise, the link is sent for approval to get started. The podcaster needs to fill in some details like the Title, description, artwork, category, language and explicit rating to get started.
- Spotify will then send an 8 digit code to the email account associated with the RSS feed and the email address is used during the sign-in process of the podcast hosting service.
- In the next tab, Spotify will throw some questions at you to answer. Like as which country the podcast is made from, its primary language, the podcast hosting provider’s name, and the best category it fits into-say sports, crime, mystery, drama, etc…
- By clicking on the ‘next’ tab, the submission process ends and the review process starts.
- All the link feeds are constantly checked for updated content so that the new content on the platform can be smartly promoted.
Podcast requirements to meet Spotify Approval
- The created MP3 must be in ISO/IEC 11172-3 MPEG-1 Part 3 (MP3) audio form and the bitrate must be between 96 and 320 kbps.
- Only JPEG, PNG, or TIFF formats are allowed for the cover art and it has to be in the square ratio of (1:1) with the highest resolution possible
- The RSS feed must-have title, description, and image for the cover for at least 1 episode.
- The episode title must not exceed over 20 characters
- Special characters must only be included in HTML coding within podcast titles and descriptions. Anyway, Spotify engineers will remove any unwanted taglines before publication.
- Permitted episode length is 83 minutes at 320 KBPS or over 200 minutes at 128 kbps and must not exceed 200MB in size.
Note- Spotify has over 390 million listeners worldwide as its podcasts are consumed in over 187 countries. And people can download the Spotify content on Android, iOS loaded devices along with desktops, gaming consoles, cars, TVs, and smart speakers.